What is stone ?
The stone known as basic material for building since the dawn of history, all civilization that came to any part of the world characterized with particularly pattern distinguish their homes, palaces and temples. These civilizations have left clear imprint on the architectural styles, construction methods and stone types. Jordan characterized by availability and diversity of building stone, due to the spread of the rock layers with specifications suitable for construction purposes, throughout history.
Characteristics of Jordanian stone:
- Strength: many types of stone have the strength more than enough in case of compression resistance. The resistance to shear is 1/10 of compression resistance;
- Hardness: important when the stone is used in the floor covering, paving and pedals of stairs;
- Durability: resistance to weathering such as rain, wind and freezing, this is necessary when the stone is used in the external works;
- Operational: the hardness of stone and granular texture appropriate to stone extraction from the quarries, composition and inscription;
- Density: permeability of the stone affects in its ability to bear freezing factors;
- Appearance: such as color, composition and granular texture.
Most Popular Types of Construction Stone in Jordan:
The names of construction stone in Jordan are a lot and variable with time. The stone is named according to the town, which were extracted, or to a physical property that distinguish it from others. Here is some of the names of the most widespread stones in Jordan:
Maan Stone: appropriate to city Maan city in southern Jordan, which is the most famous and best quality between the usable stones. It is characterized by rigidity and lack of water absorption, which is white and there are two types of it (surface and island).
Qatraneh Stone: relative to the Qatraneh south of Amman, a stone is solid, with a uniform color and high rate of absorption.
Ajloun stone: relative to the northern city of Ajloun, Jordan, is characterized by rigidity and lack of water absorption and uniform color and not available in high quantities .
Ruweished stone: the good types of this stone have the same characteristics that distinguish Maan stone but less white, which is taken from the same class level for Maan stone.